Forge Cottage is a lovely Cotswold stone property, managed by the neighbouring Guiting Guest House. The cottage is in the centre of the beautiful and peaceful village of Guiting Power, which is surrounded by the stunning countryside of the North Cotswolds. The well known market towns of Stow-on-the-Wold and Bourton-on-the-Water are both approximately six miles away and the cottage is well placed for exploring the entire Cotswolds region.
The cottage has been enhanced by its current owners, whilst maintaining its traditional character, including wooden beams and floors, and a real fire. The character of the cottage is complemented by its modern facilities, including wireless internet access, a flatscreen TV with DVD player, and a well presented kitchen.
The cottage sleeps a maximum of five guests (one on a sofa bed), in two bedrooms, with two bathrooms. Quiet on street parking is freely available. Forge Cottage is an ideal retreat for friends, couples or a family, looking for a peaceful getaway in a beautiful village.
The front door of Forge Cottage opens into a small hallway, off which are the following rooms:
- Living/dining room: A large, characterful room, with wooden beams and floors, and a real fire. There is comfy seating for five and a large wooden dining table, with seating for six;
- Kitchen: The good sized kitchen contains an electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge, freezer, dishwasher, kettle and toaster, plus a small table and a couple of chairs.
Stairs lead up from the hallway to the first floor landing. The following rooms are on the first floor:
- Master bedroom: A large bedroom, containing a super king size bed and a sofa bed on a raised platform. There is an en-suite bathroom, with a walk-in shower, toilet and wash basin;
- Bedroom 2: Contains a double bed;
- Family bathroom: Contains a bath with overhead shower, toilet and wash basin.
There is a small, enclosed patio area outside the front door of Forge Cottage, with a table and chairs in the warmer months of the year, and guests are also welcome to use the neighbouring garden of the Guiting Guest House after 10.30am.
Booking and payment
Character Cottages is a marketing agency and we do not own or manage any of the cottages listed on our website. Bookings made via us form a legal agreement directly between you and the property owner.
For bookings commencing more than 12 weeks in advance, a 30% non-refundable deposit is required to confirm the booking. The balance payment is then due 12 weeks prior to arrival.
All payments are made subject to the cancellation policy set out in the standard Booking Conditions.
A security deposit of £150 is payable, which is returned after the letting period, subject to an inspection of the property. For the avoidance of doubt, guests are requested to leave the property in a reasonable condition, consistent with the property's appearance upon arrival. In the event that the owners, or their appointed housekeepers, have to spend additional time tidying up after your departure, then the cost of this extra time may be deducted from your security deposit. The security deposit is payable prior to arrival at the property, via a bank transfer or a valid debit or credit card.
The maximum occupancy of the property, including its grounds, is five guests (including infants in cots), at any point during your stay. Unauthorised over occupancy is a breach of our terms and conditions and may result in the cancellation of your booking and additional charges. Please consult us prior to booking if you wish to discuss the possibility of having more than five guests at the property.
Regrettably, pets are not accepted.
Bed linen and towels
Bed linen and towels are provided for guests.
Arrival and departure times
Arrival time is after 4pm and the property's owner should be phoned in advance if you will be arriving after 6pm. Access will typically be provided by the property's owner, however in emergencies there is also a key safe.
Departure time is by 10am.
Bed sizes and configurations
- Bedroom 1: Super king size bed and sofa bed
- Bedroom 2: Double bed
- Family bathroom: Bath with overhead shower, toilet and wash basin;
- En-suite bathroom: Walk-in shower, toilet and wash basin.
Heating, fuel and logs
The property has an electric storage central heating system. Electricity is included in the rental price.
An initial basket of logs is provided for the real fire and further supplies can be purchased locally.
The property has free wireless internet access and a TV with a DVD player. Please note that the wireless signal strength in the cottage is not very strong but guests are welcome to use the guest house or its garden where the signal is dependable.
There is no telephone at the property and guests should note that the mobile phone reception in the property is variable.
Guests with bicycles can store them in a locked shed at the property.
There is free, quiet on-street parking available by the village green, next to the property.
Where a letting exceeds nine nights, a mid-stay clean, bed linen and towel change may be included in the price. Please check with us to confirm. Additional housekeeping services may be available on request.
Child friendly facilities
A travel cot (without linen) and a high chair are provided.
A small quantity of initial consumables is provided for your convenience (eg. tea, coffee, sugar, milk, biscuits, bread and butter, dishwasher tablets, toilet rolls, cleaning products, etc), however, you should not expect the quantity of these provisions to be sufficient for the duration of your stay.
Accessibility, health and safety
This is an old property and has character features, including narrow and steep stairs, and two floors, which could pose difficulty to guests with limited mobility, or carrying babies, both in terms of their general movement and their ability to quickly exit the house in the event of an emergency.
The smoke detectors operate on a sound only basis and, therefore, those who have serious impairment of hearing may not be able to hear the alarm systems and could be at risk.
Forge Cottage is a self-contained cottage, which is part of the Guiting Guest House building, where the owners live.
No smoking is permitted throughout the property.
In order to provide you with as much detail of our properties as possible, we sometimes use wide angle photography, which can make certain rooms, or spaces, appear larger than they actually are. Wherever possible, we try to include a floorplan, with detailed dimensions of rooms and areas. If you have any queries regarding the size of any rooms or spaces, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Forge Cottage is located in the quiet village of Guiting Power, within seven miles of the popular market towns of Bourton-on-the-Water and Stow-on-the-Wold.
Travelling by car
Forge Cottage is easily accessed by car, being located approximately six miles away from both the A429 (Fosse Way) and the A40, which are two of the main roads running through the North Cotswolds.
Travelling by train
The nearest railway station to Forge Cottage is Kingham (approximately 12 miles away), which has regular, direct services to London Paddington, with a typical journey time of less than 90 minutes.
Travelling by plane
Forge Cottage is within easy reach of a number of international airports:
- Birmingham International Airport: 48 miles, approximately 75 minute drive;
- Heathrow International Airport: 80 miles, approximately 100 minute drive;
- Bristol International Airport: 61 miles, approximately 85 minute drive.
Forge Cottage was launched as a Holiday Let with Character Cottages in December 2013 and is in the process of building up customer feedback. With its outstanding presentation and ideal location, we have little doubt that this property will be a favourite with guests.
Other Customer Feedback:
- "Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Forge Cottage. Chris and Joanne are lovely hosts! Everything in the cottage is remarkably clean which is so welcoming on arrival (as were the fresh flowers and freshly baked bread)! Possibly could update the decor in the bathrooms/kitchen as it's outdated and showing signs of wear and tear... but a freshened look, while maintaining a cottage feel, would be a super lift. Virtually no wifi in the cottage though it's readily available in the garden of Guiting Guesthouse next door. I would recommend this cottage, Guiting Power, and the Cotswolds in general." Denise, September 2016
- “Cottage very comfortable and plenty of space for four adults and a child. The only downside ceilings very thin and you could hear conversations. Otherwise everything to a high standard.” – Krystyna, September 2016
- "Thank you very much for a great Christmas at the cottage. It was perfect for us and in a brilliant location. It is a lovely cottage and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We received a genuine welcome at the cottage – and also at the local post office, shop, pub and the Christmas Day service at the church! Lovely cottage, lovely village. Thank you!" - December 2013