Jackdaw Cottage is a charming honey-coloured traditional cotswold stone cottage, the first of a row of three in a quiet lane close to the heart of the beautiful village of Blockley. The historic village of Blockley is very peaceful and picturesque, yet benefits from having two pubs, a restaurant, and a community owned village shop & café. There is also a historic Norman church in the centre of the village and numerous beautiful country walks are accessible directly from the cottage.
The cottage has recently been refurbished by its owners, to enhance its cosy feel. Traditional character features, such as wooden beams and a large stone fireplace with wood burning stove, are complemented by modern facilities, including wireless internet access, a Smart TV and a well presented kitchen.
The cottage sleeps a maximum of five people, in two bedrooms and on a sofa bed in the snug, with one bathroom. There is an enclosed garden and off-street parking for one car, with free on street parking readily available. Jackdaw Cottage is an ideal retreat for friends, couples or a family, looking for a peaceful getaway.
The front door of Jackdaw Cottage is accessed via the garden and opens into the kitchen/dining room, one of the three ground floor rooms:
- Living room: a lovely, cosy cottage living room, with a large stone fireplace and log burner. Contains comfy seating for five and a Smart TV, with a blu-ray and Smart DVD player;
- Kitchen/dining room: Recently refurbished, whilst maintaining the cottage character, the kitchen contains an electric oven, four ring gas hob, microwave, dishwasher, fridge with freezer compartment, kettle, toaster and washing machine. The wooden dining table is in the centre of the room, with seating for five;
- Snug/bedroom 3: Accessed via the living room, the snug is a small room, ideal for relaxing or reading in. Linen and towels can be provided for the sofa bed, to enable the cottage to sleep up to five guests.
Stairs lead up from the kitchen to the first floor landing, off which are the following rooms:
- Bedroom 1: Contains a king size bed;
- Bedroom 2: Contains two single beds;
- Family bathroom: Contains a bath with overhead shower, toilet and wash basin.
Jackdaw Cottage's enclosed garden is in front of the property, with peaceful views down the lane and across the Blockley valley. The garden is mostly gravelled and contains a table and seating for five. A charcoal barbecue is provided during the warmer months of the year. Next to the garden is an off-street parking space for one car.
For bookings commencing more than 12 weeks in advance, a 30% non-refundable deposit is required to confirm the booking. The balance payment is then due 12 weeks prior to arrival.
All payments are made subject to the cancellation policy set out in the standard Booking Conditions.
Security deposits are not required (please note that guests are still liable for any damage or additional cleaning required as a result of their actions).
The maximum occupancy of the property, is five guests, at any point during your stay. Unauthorised over occupancy is a breach of our terms and conditions and may result in the cancellation of your booking and additional charges. Please consult us prior to booking if you wish to discuss the possibility of having more than five guests at the property.
Up to two medium sized dogs are accepted, at a cost of £20 per booking per dog.
For the comfort of future guests, we ask that dogs remain downstairs, stay off the furniture and that no trace of a dog remains after your departure.
Bed linen and towels
Bed linen and towels are provided for guests.
Arrival and departure times
Arrival time is after 3pm and departure time is by 10am. Access is via a key safe, therefore it does not matter if you are arriving late at night.
Bed sizes and configurations
- Bedroom 1: King size bed;
- Bedroom 2: 2x single beds;
- Snug/bedroom 3: Sofa bed.
- Family bathroom: Bath with overhead shower, toilet and wash basin.
Heating, fuel and logs
The property has an electric storage central heating system.
Electricity and gas are included in the rental price. An initial basket of logs is provided for the wood burning stove and further supplies can be purchased locally.
The property has free wireless internet access and a Smart TV, with Blu-ray and Smart DVD player. A telephone is also provided, for local calls only.
Blockley is in a valley and guests should be aware that mobile phone reception can be very poor.
The property has one off-street parking space and further free street parking is readily available close to the cottage.
Where a letting exceeds nine nights, a mid-stay clean, bed linen and towel change may be included in the price. Please check with us to confirm. Additional housekeeping services may be available on request.
Child friendly facilities
A travel cot (without linen) and a high chair are available upon request.
The property's garden is enclosed, however, children should be supervised at all times whilst in the garden.
A small quantity of initial consumables is provided for your convenience (eg. tea, coffee, sugar, dishwasher tablets, washing up liquid, soap, washing powder, toilet rolls, etc), however, you should not expect the quantity of these provisions to be sufficient for the duration of your stay.
Accessibility, health and safety
This is an old property, with narrow and steep stairs, which could pose difficulty to guests with limited mobility, or carrying babies, both in terms of their general movement and their ability to quickly exit the house in the event of an emergency.
The smoke and CO detectors operate on a sound only basis and, therefore, those who have serious impairment of hearing may not be able to hear the alarm systems and could be at risk.
No smoking is permitted throughout the property.
In order to provide you with as much detail of our properties as possible, we sometimes use wide angle photography, which can make certain rooms, or spaces, appear larger than they actually are. Wherever possible, we try to include a floorplan, with detailed dimensions of rooms and areas. If you have any queries regarding the size of any rooms or spaces, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Jackdaw Cottage is located on a quiet lane, in the peaceful, picturesque village of Blockley.
Travelling by car
Blockley is easily accessed by car, being located approximately 1 mile away from the A44 and approximately 3 miles away from the A429 (Fosse Way), which are two of the main roads through the North Cotswolds.
Travelling by train
The nearest railway station to Blockley is Moreton-in-Marsh (approximately 3 miles away), which has regular, direct services to London Paddington, with a typical journey time of approximately 90 minutes.
Travelling by plane
Blockley is within easy reach of a number of international airports:
- Birmingham International Airport: 42 miles, approximately 60 minute drive;
- Heathrow International Airport: 76 miles, approximately 90 minute drive;
- Bristol International Airport: 75 miles, approximately 90 minute drive
Jackdaw Cottage was launched as a Holiday Let with Character Cottages in January 2014 and is in the process of building up customer feedback. With its outstanding presentation and ideal location, we have little doubt that this property will be a favourite with guests.
Other Customer Feedback:
- "What a lovely cottage, quaint village and personable owners. Thank you" - Mark, Christina, Lauren and Brenda Fuhr, South Dakota, USA, June 2014
- "We enjoyed a relaxing time in your lovely cottage, so well maintained and filled with just everything you might need. Thank you so much, also for the friendly welcome gift! For us it was wonderful to stroll through all these gardens with their mansions showing stunning beauty and being a never ending source of joy. A place to remember!" - Luithi Urs and Marie Luise Berne, Switzerland, June 2014
- "Thanks for a lovely week (despite the rain!) The cottage is great. Really well equipped. Many thanks again." - Mr and Mrs Witter, May 2014
- "We had a lovely time. Everything is very clean and well kept. Thank you for sharing this little piece of heaven with us. Will definitely recommend and visit again!" - Mr Coetzee and family, South Africa, Mar 2014
- "What a lovely cottage. The most beautiful walks. Great weather. Found a superb pub called the Eight Bells...wonderful. Will definitely come back - thank you for the wine and chocs....yum yum. Nice touch." - Mr and Mrs Cronin, Hants, Feb 2014
- "What a welcome. Warm cosy, beautiful and clean and the added touch of the lights on, along with the Christmas tree and candles in the window. Home from home....just how we celebrate Christmas. Highly recommended. Thank you! Lovely to see the bed linen pressed and crisp and everything matched. We had a magical stay at Jackdaw. Thank you!" - Mike and Jacque, Devon, Dec 2013