Friesland Cottage is a beautiful Cotswold stone cottage, dating back to the 1700s, which is located on the edge of the picturesque Cotswolds village of Shilton, and surrounded by stunning countryside. Shilton is well known for its attractive ford across “The Shill” brook, its open village green and its pretty stone cottages, all of which are much photographed and provided the setting for the Old Forge in Downton Abbey. The village also has an award winning pub, The Rose and Crown, which ensures that Shilton provides a true Cotswold experience. The beautiful market town of Burford is just two miles away and can easily be walked to across the fields from the cottage, and the many other lovely towns and villages of the Cotswolds are all within easy reach, as are famous places such as Blenheim Palace, Oxford and Cheltenham. London is also easily accessible by train or car.
The cottage is a lovely semi-detached property, which has been finished to an exceptionally high standard and is far more spacious than many old Cotswold cottages. The cottage contains a wealth of character features, including exposed beams, wooden floors, a fireplace with wood burning stove in the living room, and a further wood burning stove in the entrance hall. Complementing this traditional character, the property has modern facilities, including wireless internet access, four SMART HD TVs, and a well equipped kitchen and dining area overlooking the lovely garden.
Friesland Cottage sleeps eight people in four bedrooms, three of which are in the main house, with an additional bedroom in a lovely annexe next to the cottage. There are two bathrooms and a guest cloakroom in the main house, plus an ensuite bathroom in the annexe. The cottage has beautiful gardens at the front and back, comprising of lawns bordered by fruit trees and flower beds, with a magnificent old well in the front garden. A driveway at the front of the cottage has parking space for up to four cars.
Friesland Cottage is a Cotswold stone semi-detached property located on a quiet road, on the edge of the peaceful village of Shilton. The front door opens into a large, welcoming hallway, with a wood burning stove and flagstone flooring, which leads through to a well laid out ground floor area:
- Living room: This elegant room provides a wonderful relaxing space, with stylish wooden floors and a fireplace containing a wood burning stove. There are comfortable sofas with seating for eight, a SMART HD TV with DVD player, and a SONOS multi-room player;
- Kitchen, dining and sitting room: A fabulous sociable room for cooking, eating and relaxing, which looks out over the back garden. The contemporary kitchen contains a large island and double sink, and comes very well equipped, with a large Aga with a four ring gas hob, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer, fridge, freezer, wine fridge, kettle, toaster, microwave and coffee machine. The dining area has French doors leading out into the garden and contains a large dining table that comfortably seats eight. There is an additional sitting room area, also with French doors out to the garden, which contains a comfy sofa and armchair, together with a SONOS multi-room system and a SMART HD TV;
- Cloakroom: Contains a toilet and a wash basin.
Wooden stairs with a handrail lead up from the living room to the first floor landing, off which are the following rooms:
- Master bedroom: A substantial dual aspect room, with a vaulted ceiling, wooden floors and views over the open countryside, which contains a double bed and a SMART HD TV. There is an ensuite bathroom, with a roll top bath, separate digital walk-in shower, wash basin and toilet;
- Bedroom 2: Another stylish room which contains a double bed;
- Bedroom 3: This lovely light room contains two bunk beds, which are large enough to accommodate adults;
- Family bathroom: Contains a bath, toilet and wash basin.
Heading out through the doors of the dining area and into the garden, three steps lead up to the annexe, which contains:
- Bedroom 4: A beautifully presented room with wooden floors, which contains a double bed and a SMART HD TV. There is also an ensuite bathroom, with a walk-in shower, toilet and wash basin.
There are beautiful gardens at the front and back of the cottage, which primarily comprise of lawns bordered by fruit trees and flower beds. There is a large table in the back garden with seating for eight, a charcoal barbecue, outdoor games for children, and a croquet set. Just outside the front door of the cottage is a magnificent old well, which is securely covered. There is a driveway in the front garden, with parking space for up to four cars.