The Barn & Stables was built in the mid to late 18th century and was originally part of Denfurlong Farm, on the edge of the pretty village of Chedworth. This is an attractive Cotswold village, with old and modern Cotswold stone houses hugging the steep sides of a valley, which extends for almost two miles along a tributary of the beautiful River Coln. The village remains unspoilt and off the beaten track, with the exception of the famous Chedworth Roman Villa, which is less than a mile from the village. Being in the heart of the Cotswolds, Chedworth is ideally located for exploring the entire region and beyond.
The present owners of The Barn & Stables have undertaken a stunning conversion of what were originally two properties into a spectacular and spacious individual house. The property retains many character features, including wooden beams, exposed stone walls and an “owl hole”, which allowed owls to enter the barn to deal with vermin. The period features are complemented by the house’s modern facilities, including three Freeview TVs, a DVD player, an iPad/iPhone/iPod docking station, iPod docks in every bedroom and a well equipped kitchen.
The Barn & Stables sleeps up to eight people, in four bedrooms, with three en-suite bathrooms and a family bathroom. Most of the rooms in the property overlook the large, enclosed garden, beyond which are views out over open countryside. There is also ample off-street parking on the property's drive. The layout and location of the house makes The Barn & Stables an ideal retreat for families or a group of friends.
The Barn & Stables is accessed via its large, enclosed garden. Entering the house through the front door, the entrance hall leads into:
- Open plan living and dining room: The original barn doors have been replaced with a huge window, which beautifully connects the house with the garden and floods the living room with light. This grand room has a travertine tiled floor, which runs through the dining room and the kitchen. The living room and dining room are separated by the real fire, which can be used from both sides. The living room has a large flat screen Freeview TV, with DVD player and there is an iPod/iPhone/iPad docking station. The dining room contains a beautiful wooden table and chairs, which comfortably seats eight adults. A door from the living room leads straight out into the garden.
The dining room leads to:
- Kitchen: This large and well equipped room is a very sociable place in which to congregate whilst cooking. The kitchen’s facilities include a large island in the centre, with bar stool seating for four, a cooker with hob, dishwasher, fridge, freezer, microwave and wine fridge. There is also a self-contained laundry area, which includes a washing machine, tumble dryer, sink and drying rack.
Returning to the living room, a grand oak staircase leads up to the first floor and opens out to:
- Second living room: This open plan room has a spacious and light feeling, with beautiful views out over the garden and the fields beyond. The original oak beams complement the new oak floor, large wooden desk and contemporary seating. There is also another flat screen Freeview TV;
A hallway leads off the second living room, which runs to:
- Bedroom 1: At the end of the hallway, the grand master bedroom has an exposed stone wall, original oak beams and a door leading out to steps down to the garden. The room contains a king size bed and the large en-suite bathroom includes a walk-in shower, toilet and basin;
- Family bathroom: Contains a free-standing bath, separate walk-in shower, toilet and Philippe Starck basin;
- Bedroom 2: Adjacent to the family bathroom, this room contains two single beds.
Returning to the top of the stairs:
- Bedroom 3: Contains a zip and link bed, which can be set up as either a king size bed, or two 2’6” single beds. There is an en-suite bathroom, with a walk-in shower, toilet and basin.
Heading back downstairs:
- Bedroom 4: Contains a double bed. This room has a “Jack & Jill” en-suite bathroom, which can also be accessed from the living room, and contains a walk-in shower, toilet and basin.
Returning to the front door, the beautifully landscaped gardens spread out in front of you. There is a large table and chairs in the garden, as well as additional outdoor chairs and a sofa. A charcoal barbecue (without charcoal) is also available for guests.