The Gables is a large, Grade II listed, Cotswold stone property, dating back to the 17th century. Most of the rooms in the house have beautiful views of the local countryside, as does the large, private garden. The house is located in the small village of Uley, in the heart of the South-West Cotswolds countryside, close to the well known market towns of Nailsworth and Stroud. As well as being well placed for exploring the surrounding countryside, The Gables is also within easy reach of popular destinations, such as Bath, Cheltenham and Cirencester.
The house has recently been extensively refurbished by its owners, to enhance the comfort for guests, whilst maintaining traditional character features, such as wooden beams and beautiful inglenook fireplaces, including one real fire and one with an original bread oven. The character of the house is complemented by its modern facilities, including wireless internet access, a flatscreen TV with DVD player and a well equipped kitchen.
The house sleeps a maximum of 16 people, in eight bedrooms, with three bathrooms. There is a large garden, with beautiful views, and off-street parking is available for six to eight cars. The Gables is ideal for groups of friends or family gatherings, offering peace and tranquility in a stunning location.
The main entrance to The Gables is on the side of the house and opens into a small porch, which then opens out into a large reception hall. The following rooms are on the ground floor:
- Reception hall: Containing a beautiful inglenook fireplace and wooden beams, this is a lovely room to relax in, or as a second living room for children;
- Living room: At the heart of the house, this large dual-aspect room has French doors straight out onto the patio and garden, with beautiful views from the room. There is a real fire, comfortable sofas and a flatscreen TV with DVD player;
- Dining room: Another large, dual-aspect room, the highlight of which is undoubtedly the large inglenook fireplace, with its original bread oven. There are two dining tables, a feature table seating 10, and another antique table, which seats six;
- Kitchen/breakfast room: Accessed from the dining room, with a door out to the garden, the dual-aspect kitchen contains a double electric oven, four ring electric hob, large fridge, dishwasher, microwave, kettle and toaster. There is a farmhouse table, with seating for approximately six;
- Utility room: Next to the kitchen, this convenient room contains a fridge freezer, another electric oven, an additional sink and a washing machine;
- Downstairs cloakroom: Contains a toilet and a hand basin.
A grand staircase leads up from the reception hall to the first floor landing, off which are three bedrooms:
- Bedroom 1: Contains a double bed. There is an en-suite bathroom, with a bath with overhead shower, toilet, wash basin and heated towel rail;
- Bedroom 2: Contains a single bed, with a further pull-out single bed. Both beds will be prepared, unless you wish to set a travel cot up in this room, in which case please let us know not to set up the pull out bed, as there would be insufficient space;
- Bedroom 3: A grand master bedroom, with window seats to admire the beautiful views, which contains a king size bed. There is a Jack and Jill bathroom, accessed directly from bedroom 3, which contains a bath with overhead shower, toilet, wash basin and heated towel rail. A second door to the bathroom provides access for bedroom 4 (see below). There is also an additional door out of bedroom 3 onto the second first floor landing, giving access to the second staircase (see below).
There is a second, steep spiral staircase up to the first floor from the dining room, which opens onto another landing. The landing provides access to bedroom 3 and its bathroom, as well as access to:
- Bedroom 4: Contains a double bed. As noted above, this bedroom shares a bathroom with bedroom 3, which contains a bath with overhead shower, toilet, wash basin and heated towel rail.
Further stairs lead up from the main landing on the first floor to the second floor landing, with all the rooms on the second floor showcasing the original beautiful wooden beams of the house. The following rooms lead off the landing:
- Bedroom 5: Contains a double bed;
- Bedroom 6: Contains two single beds;
- Bedroom 7: Contains a king size bed;
- Bedroom 8: Contains a king size bed;
- Family bathroom: Contains a walk-in shower, toilet and wash basin.
The Gables' beautiful, mature gardens are south facing and are at the rear of the house, with stunning views of the open countryside. The gardens are terraced and contain a wide variety of trees and plants, as well as a small stream. Guests are welcome to pick fruit from the trees, or vegetables from the garden, for their own use. There is outdoor seating for 16 and a small outdoor table, as well as a charcoal barbecue.
Off-street parking for six to eight cars is available on the drive, to the front of the house.