The Old School House is a beautiful, historic house, dating back to 1869 and located in the Conservation Area of the idyllic Cotswold village of Lower Swell, surrounded by the stunning Cotswold countryside. Lower Swell is just one mile from Stow-on-the-Wold, which is well known for its many antique shops, pubs and restaurants, and the location is also ideal for exploring the wider region, including the many beautiful towns and villages of the Cotswolds, as well as further afield places, such as Stratford-upon-Avon, Oxford and Bath.
Originally built for the village school mistress, the house contains various character features, including a large fireplace, with wood burning stove, original walk-in pantry and a romantic bathroom with clawfoot bath and stone fireplace. Complementing these period features, The Old School House has been decorated, furnished and equipped in a warm and contemporary style, making the house a perfect holiday choice for families or groups of friends.
The Old School House sleeps up to 12 people in five bedrooms, with two family bathrooms. There is a private, enclosed garden and off street parking for up to five cars is available.
The Old School House is situated at the end of a short lane, from which the garden is accessed. A path through the garden takes you to the front door of the house, which leads to:
- Kitchen/dining room: The kitchen and adjoining dining room are the heart of the house, with the dining room containing a large wooden table that comfortably seats 12 guests. The dining room also contains a book library. The kitchen is bright and spacious, and is equipped to a high standard, including a cooker with ceramic hob, microwave, fridge, freezer, dishwasher and coffee machine. Adjoining the kitchen is a walk in pantry and a utility room, containing a washing machine and tumble dryer.
From the dining room, a door leads to the:
- Living room: The large, yet cosy living room contains a wood burning stove (initial logs provided), a TV with a home cinema system and Freesat HD, and comfy seating for 12. There are also two portable iPod docks.
A door from the living room leads to stairs to the first floor:
- Bedroom 1: Double bed;
- Bathroom: Beautiful roll top bath, basin and toilet, with stone fireplace;
From the first floor landing, stairs go up to the second floor:
- Bedroom 2: Contains a double bed;
- Bedroom 3: Contains a double bed and a single bed. This bedroom is accessed via bedroom 2.
Returning to the dining room, another set of stairs leads to:
- Bedroom 4: Double bed;
- Bathroom: Walk-in electric shower, wash basin and toilet;
- Bedroom 5: Contains an antique Victorian double bed and a single divan bed.
Returning to the kitchen, the front door leads out directly into a fabulous, peaceful garden, with distant views towards the church in Stow-on-the-Wold. The enclosed garden has a flagstone terrace, with teak garden furniture and a charcoal barbecue, overlooking the lawn and shaded woodland areas. All the main rooms in the house look out onto the lovely gardens.