Letting Out Your Holiday Home?
Earning income from a second home
If you are the new owner of a holiday home, or have a second home that you want to let out to earn additional income, we can help you maximise your profits and minimise the hassle.
Whilst the thought of letting out your home may initially appear daunting, by working in partnership with Character Cottages we will make it simple and enjoyable for you. Our job is to advise you on the things you are unsure about and to make sure that you get the financial returns you are seeking.
Common holiday home questions
We are very experienced in acquiring, establishing and operating holiday homes and are often asked about some of the key practicalities of the process. Common questions include:
- Should I market the property and manage the guest enquiries and bookings myself?
- Should I manage the housekeeping and maintenance of the property myself?
- How should the property be furnished and what equipment do I need to provide?
- What health and safety checks do I need to do?
- What price should I charge?
- What booking terms and conditions should I have in place?
- Should I provide a hamper?
- What guest "essentials" should I provide?
- How do I manage key holding and access to the property for guests?
- How do I take and manage guest payments?
- Can I or should I switch from Council Tax to Business Rates?
- Do I need special holiday home insurance?
- What free services should I provide?
- Should I take a security deposit?
- What are the tax implications of letting out a holiday home?
- Do I need to prepare annual accounts?
Each holiday home and each owner is individual and, as such, we believe that there is no "one size fits all" solution. In order to maximise your profits, we will work with you on a one-to-one basis to carefully evaluate and agree the answers to all of these questions, to ensure that your holiday home is a success.