Upper Oddington and Lower Oddington are traditional Cotswold villages, which together form the civil parish of Oddington. Both villages are very peaceful, being located on a quiet country road, away from the busier main roads of the Cotswolds.
Oddington is known for the fine Church of St Nicholas. It was originally a cell of St Peter's Benedictine abbey in Gloucester, which was ceded in 1157 to the See of York and exchanged with the Crown in 1547. The Norman south aisle probably represents the original nave. The church was all but abandoned among its fields in 1852 and has been little altered since. It contains wall paintings of the Doom on the north wall of the nave, dating to the early 15th century, which were whitewashed over in Puritan times, before being restored by a local resident in the 20th century. Scenes depicted include the Acts of Mercy, the Seven Deadly Sins and Pride. Oddington is fortunate to be home to two excellent country pubs: the Horse and Groom in Upper Oddington and The Fox Inn in Lower Oddington (see Food & Drink section for further information).
Food & Drink:
- The Fox Inn, Lower Oddington (www.foxinn.net): This Virginia creeper clad, Cotswold stone Inn, with flagstone floor, beams, open fireplaces and collection of antiques is the perfect setting for a meal or drink with family and friends. During the summer months you can enjoy the enclosed, pretty Cotswold garden and there is also a covered and heated terraced area for al fresco dining. The seasonal menu includes modern and traditional classics, complemented by a large range of fine wines and a selection of real ales.